Sign in to follow this  
brettjsand2000

SAFETY - Whats your opinion?

45 posts in this topic

1888923_1448207372076557_1237563871_o.jp

There is a lot of talk right now going on about safety.  I race with the Pro Sand Drag Association and there is a lot of talk that they need to stiffen up the safety rules a little.  I understand everyones concern.  I have heard stories from both sides.  The following is a copy and paste from the PSDA web sit.  I think it would be great if we could get tracks across the USA to adhere to some of the basic safety rules.  In my opinion Helmet/Eye protection, gloves, boots, jeans, long sleeve shirt and a tether are a must.  I know others want a lot more safety rules but I think in needs to start at the bottom and take baby steps.  If we can at least get tracks to make racers adhere to those basic rules, it would be a huge step.  I dont mean just say yeah we will make them adhere, but do checks in the staging lanes.  Maybe not check everyone, but do spot checks or even make the rider shut the bike down with the tether to verify.  What do some of you think?  What rules do you think need added?  Maybe you think things are fine the way they are.  Lets here your opinions.

Below is a copy of the Pro Sand Drags rule list they have up on their web site.  This thread is to go over safety across the board for all drag racing events.  Maybe other tracks can come together and use the same rules or maybe we can work with other tracks to help them.

http://prosanddrags.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2265/PSDA_OFFICIAL_TRACK_AND_RACE_R#Post2265

Kids classes 15 yrs and younger are limited to what e.t. they can run.
13 - 15 can't run faster than 4.0 e.t.
10 - 12 can't run faster than 5.5 e.t.
9 - under can't run faster than 10.0 e.t.
Kids can't run the adult classes. They can run brackets or index. But cannot run faster than required for their age. Kids cannot hold any records, because they are limited to e.t.

Pro Sanddrags Official Rules
All machines must run a non automotive engine...(atv base, snowmobile base, outboard engine, motorcycle base qualifies for approval.
1) No drivers are allowed to consume alcohol or drugs during racing. If you are found to be impaired you will be disqualified. Additionally, the rider will be disqualified for 12 months from the date of the incident and banned from the website for 12 months.
2) No burnouts allowed prior to prestaging. 
3) No bikes will be allowed for a "clean out" in prestage area consisting of stands or individuals holding the bike off the ground.
4) Records-A record pass may be ran during test and tune, HOWEVER the pass can only be backed up during a qualifying pass or eliminations pass on a race day of the event (to include index and bracket racing). If you feel you are attempting a record pass you MUST notify a track official in the staging lanes so the tower can be aware of the record attempt. Additionally, If you feel you have set a record you MUST go to an official immediately upon the run of the bike. It cannot return to the trailer area. If it is a limited pass a bottle cannot be mounted on the bike. All other conditions related to a limited pass found in the Official Classes will be in effect. The Back up percentage is 2%.
5) Helmets and eye protection must be worn.
6) 5 mph speed limit in the pits
7) A rider can only ride one bike per class...If caught riding 2 bikes, he will be disqualified. Additionally, the rider will be disqualified for 12 months from the date of the incident and banned from the website for 12 months.
8) If a bike breaks, you cannot change bikes after it has qualified...If caught doing so, you will be disqualified. Additionally, the rider will be disqualified for 12 months from the date of the incident and banned from the website for 12 months.
9) Must be 16 yrs old to run heads up classes, additionally, this age limit is required to hold an adult class record (limited and unlimited classes). You may run in a youth class or index class, however you cannot go faster than your age bracket time allowance to place in the race. If a rider is found to be underage they will be disqualified. Additionally, the rider and or owner will be disqualified for 12 months from the date of the incident and banned from the website for 12 months.

10) No racing in the pits (5mph strictly enforced) If caught, you may be ask to leave without your money back.
11) Must have someone with bike in staging lanes. Not track officials’ job to keep up with you
12) If you red light, don't move. If you move you are out. If you don’t move, we can check the beams for obstruction. If obstructed by dirt, we will re-run that pair.
13) If a bike breaks down, there is a 3 min wait. If the bike is not there, the race moves on.
14) If a bike crosses the centerline of the track before they get to the finish line, they are disqualified.
15) Two hands must be on handlebars at all times. If a rider is pulling his hand off the handlebar to clutch the bike they may be disqualified.
16)No shorts or sleeveless shirts allowed. Hard sole shoes required.
17)No studded tires allowed
18)Once bike is prestaged, No one is allowed to move or push the bike to stage. Driver must be in control. This applies to all riders 13 years of age and up.
19) The rider of the bike must register the bike for the class and must be listed in the tower as the rider of the bike, not the owner of the bike.

I think the saftey rules should go with the classes, the faster the class then the more safety equipment required. It should be setup like automotive drag racing, the faster ET the more protective equipment needs to be in place. Seems silly to require someone running a 6.0-7.0 ET to have a neck brace and armored jacket, but someone running 4.0 and less should absolutely have to. Basically the faster the ET the greater the danger, the safety rules should reflect that.

I think the saftey rules should go with the classes, the faster the class then the more safety equipment required. It should be setup like automotive drag racing, the faster ET the more protective equipment needs to be in place. Seems silly to require someone running a 6.0-7.0 ET to have a neck brace and armored jacket, but someone running 4.0 and less should absolutely have to. Basically the faster the ET the greater the danger, the safety rules should reflect that.

X2

Ill tell you one that I see at some of the tracks, is kids riding bikes under 4 seconds.  I myself like the PSDA rule for kids.  I know it has pissed some people off but its to keep the kids safe.  I had a 14 year old kid riding my bike and he is a DAMN good jockey.  IMO one of he best especially for his age.  But dont think I dont think about, what if he gets hurt for the rest of his life just because I wanted to run good numbers. Thats a tough one to swollow imo.

Kids classes 15 yrs and younger are limited to what e.t. they can run.
13 - 15 can't run faster than 4.0 e.t.
10 - 12 can't run faster than 5.5 e.t.
9 - under can't run faster than 10.0 e.t.
Kids can't run the adult classes. They can run brackets or index. But cannot run faster than required for their age. Kids cannot hold any records, because they are limited to e.t.

I agree Brett about the safety of the kids your right on point about that!! I like the long sleeve shirts ankle high boots and pants for all ATV riders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jamie Ritsema

I think at a bare minimum regardless of bike size, rider age, weight, speed, etc...

1. Approved helmet

2. Eye protection

3. Long sleeve shirt

4. Pants

5. Boots (above the ankle)

Some based on age and possibly bike size and speed...

1. Chest protector

2. Neck brace

And something to consider.. The use of heel guards. I have seen many accidents where the rider's foot comes off the peg and gets sucked under the tire causing a major accident.

I know many people will scoff at these ideas, but look at it this way.. If everyone has to do it, everyone is back to the same level playing field.

From my experience racing the AMA hillclimb series in District 23, the more "ptofessional" and "organized" a race looks, the better chance you have of securing sponsors and media coverage. The fact is there are few reputable companies out there willing to sponsor or cover an event where guys ride 100+HP and 100+MPH bikes down a track with tennis shoes and t-shirts as "riding gear." If people seriously want this sport to grow and gain some recognition, it's time to make some changes.

I am all for safety  , i think first and foremost all bikes should pass a tech inspection before allowed on the track .  Some places already  do this but a lot of them don't! 

the tech inspections we have been through mainly check to make sure the kill switch does work, and they check the overall condition and workman ship of the bike just to make sure your not going down the track on a unsafe POS . if it passes they put a little sticker on it ! simple few minute process. 

x3

I think Long sleve shirts and boots past the ankles should be a must for any one racing.

I do agree once people get faster then 3.99 they should be wearing a little more gear for sure neck brace, chest plate ect.

agree'd..

i really like the idea about the heel guard.  i have seen a lot of bikes with what looks like a smooth pipe for a foot peg.  if your not running a cleated peg your asking for trouble. and really  cowboy boots with slippery smooth bottoms and slippery smooth pegs... ?

welp  i have been thinking about this for a while.  i'm going to buy a neck brace.

so  here is  a question?   any recommendations?   will even a collar help some?  the evo collars are only about 40 bucks.  that seems really reasonable item to add to a set of gear. i'm leaning towards the evs rc evo full brace? 

recently i have also been wearing my halfie boots instead of plain shoes. 

I think the tracks should have a minimum list of requirements. Helmet, jeans, lace up shoes, ect. After that, it should be up to the racer, and bike owner.

This x100000000

null_zps8d173f3c.jpg

Here is what I wear and I'm slow. Its hotter than hell but I feel better about wearing it. I wear a Leatt neckbrace also.

jyvaguje.jpg

Nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk