Sign in to follow this  
SlowerThanYou/1700camaro

Secret Weapons Wins Points Opener Race!

14 posts in this topic

I couldn't be more proud of my son for winning today. He's one of the best racer's out there on a drag quad or a drag car. He used his .003 light in the semis & .001 light on a .400 pro light in the finals to help win. Plus, using his racing savvy to walk thru the competition

While most didn't pay much attention to the 1/4 mile secret weapon. I was hoping to get a little discussion going on how to compete with a basically stock Banshee. While there isn't a bunch of modifications on this quad. It lays down some pretty decent times, it's consistent, cuts good lights & is competitive.

JustinsBanshee14_zpsb9662f25.jpg

Where are the race pics old man?

LOL! I answered you in the Circus. I was hoping to get some discussion going, but nobody wants to know the ins & outs. We hope to (minimum) win a track championship this year with the secret weapon.

What are you doing that you think is key to winning?

I'm mainly going to hit on the secret weapons success so far. The proof of the pudding will be in the points series (12 more races) end results; good or bad. 

Information: This was the 4th time on asphalt for the Secret Weapon. It has won, (1) 2nd place & went 2-4 rounds in the other 2 races.

I'm only going to cover a couple keys in this race, but there was a few more. These areas were used for bracket racing 1/4 mile asphalt. These basic items can also be used for index/heads up on 300' sand or 1/8 mile.

Get the bike to react

In the 1st 3 races we had ran the bike on a .500 full tree. Testing this past weekend we were going red on the full tree. The reason was smaller RO front tires than what was used in the past.

Solution, go to the .400 pro light (the class has the option to split the tree) LOL! The lights were .040-.070, not good enough to be competitive.

With some changes in tire pressure, launch rpm, rear strut height, little clutch magic & few undisclosed tricks. We brought the reactions down to .001-.026 lights.

Consistency

The changes (last paragraph) above also helped with the consistency/predictability of the quad. One of the key items was rear tire pressure. We were using our wider 1/8 mile tires from our fast quad. We started at 15 lbs. pressure & ended up with 25 lbs. taking bite away from the tires.

The only other thing we are wanting to do for consistency. Is lower the clutch base pressure a little more.

Edited by SlowerThanYou/1700camaro

Do you use a launch limiter? What rpm do you launch at?

I know it's hard to keep track of things on the forums, LOL!

I started 2 Secret Weapon Banshee threads. The 1st one was a flop & I figured this one would get somebody's attention.

The 2 threads were started to show what a beginner or an experienced rider/tuner could do with a basic run of the mill Banshee play bike. This bike spends most of its time desert/dune riding.

To answer your questions: no & guessing around 5,000 rpm.

Now, on our full drag quad when running 300', asphalt or the hill. We use a launch limiter (9,300-10,300 rpm depending) & other things to help with reactions & consistency. 

If it leaves at say 10,000 rpm it will fall to 8,800 or 8,900 depend on how the clutch is set.but I have seen it leave at 9,600 rpm and still only go to 8,800 to 8,900. It all depends on how the clutch is setup. I'm going to a launch limiter this year to be more consitant.

That's why I can't stress enough, control that tire. I tested this year to see how much tire spin you can control, ran a 3.00,3.06,3.12,3.18 gearing which is a lot of gear difference, yes it had more tire spin but I kinda got a handle on how to control it. With all those different gearing I still 60ft around 1.30 to 1.33 now its time to see how fast I can apply it back without to much spin.